Monday, May 07, 2007

Oprah Backs Obama



Does Oprah Winfrey's magic touch extend to the realm of presidential politics? Her stamp of approval catapults book titles to the top of best-seller lists, and her nods at other products send consumers racing to buy them.

Last week, for the first time, Oprah endorsed a political candidate, Senator Barack Obama, Democrat from Illinois. In an interview on Larry King Live on CNN, she said she was backing the senator “because I know him personally.”





Ms. Winfrey said she had not made a financial contribution to Mr. Obama’s campaign, but acknowledged her public endorsement was probably far more valuable. Campaign finance laws would prohibit her from donating more than $2,300 in the primary and $2,300 in the general election.

“I think that what he stands for, what he has proven that he can stand for, what he has shown was worth me going out on a limb for,” Oprah told Larry King. “And I haven’t done it in the past because I haven’t felt that anybody — I didn’t know anybody well enough to be able to say, ‘I believe in this person.’ ”

Yours Truly, Tim

NY Times


Digg!
Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: