Monday, January 29, 2007

Why we need an iPhone Killer, and could this be it?

I know that lately I have posted several articles announcing a potential iPhone killer, and I have gotten a lot of flack for doing so and therefore would like to explain it. I personally own a Powerbook and am very happy with it, I have a video 60GB iPod, but I am far from an apple fanboy.

I used to admire their design and their innovation. Unfortunately I find that with money, an unparalleled market share and little true competition apple has seized to innovate as they used to. However mainly due to its design, 'cool' factor and cult following the legions of Apple fanboys seems to be growing with each passing second. As a consequence everything that comes from the hands of Steve Jobs is pure magic. That my friends is not a good place for the consumer to be in.

So yes, I am eager to find, not an iPhone killer, but a true iPhone competitor, which might propel Apple to that place where I fell for them. Because every true apple follower has to admit, that they could have done a lot better.

Now the question is, can anybody stand up to the challenge? I believe so, first of all we are talking about companies which have been in the market for many years. However I believe that the true competition will come from the East. Namely that, not so little, country which everybody has been talking about lately.

In my everyday research I have noticed a tremendous rise in the amount of consumer electronics coming out from China. With the purchase power of that gigantic market increasing annually its only a matter of time before Apple meets its competition from the East. Especially considering that it will be a while before the Apple iPhone gets an Asian release.

Today I stumbled upon this little gadget, whose resemblance to the iPhone is uncanny. Its called the Meizu M8 and it naturally comes from China. It sports a 3.3 inch 720x480 display on a minimum 57x105x11.5mm white casing. It supports both GSM and the Chinese TD-SCDMA 3G radio, Bluetooth, a 3-megapixel camera, and an ARM11 CPU capable of recording video at 30fps at full resolution.

So once again could this be the true iPhone Killer?

Cheers,
Christian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

iphoneenthusiast.com
http://www.iphoneenthusiast.com/iphone/2007/01/30/the-groupsterwhy-we-need-an-iphone-killer-and-could-this-be-it/